Congregation Beth Israel is seeking a highly motivated individual with boundless energy and a strong background in work with youth and adults (18-36). Your involvement in university level Judaic studies and Jewish organizations will compliment your skills in youth work, outreach and engaging the target groups in social and informal education programs.
You must love working hands-on with Jewish youth and serving as role model of Conservative Judaism. Several years experience, abundant enthusiasm and a magical personality are essential for success in this newly created full time position. Busy evenings and weekends.
If you are up for the challenge then please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Congregation Beth Israel • 4350 Oak St. • Vancouver BC V6H 2N4 • attention Personnel
Or email to email@example.com
Application Deadline March 31, 2011 • Position available August 2011
Position: Director of Youth & Adult Outreach/Engagement
Direct Supervisor: Rabbi
Status: Regular Full time
The position requires extensive evening and weekend presence. Flexibility is required, as hours will shift depending upon specific program needs. The position will require some participation in overnight and out of city events
General Hours: Wednesday through Sunday
This position has a major emphasis (60%) for the development and implementation of programs to attract and serve the needs of youth (grades 4-12) under the auspices of United Synagogue Youth (USY) as well as providing service in other areas for youth at Congregation Beth Israel, including teaching in our religious school Thursday and Sunday and the supplemental high school program on Monday evenings.. The development of youth leadership is also paramount.
The secondary emphasis (40%) is on developing, and implementing programs for the engagement of university/post graduate age adults, graduates of our conversion program, and families with preschool age children
The position is responsible for outreach, program development, implementation and administration, direct service, budget management, teaching.
This staff member must be able to engage and attract the target group, set an example as a positive Conservative Jewish role model, have abundant energy and enthusiasm
The secondary emphasis may shift and change in focus and time commitment dependent upon the strengths and successes of the staff member and direction of the synagogue.
The position is part of the BI program staff team and the person must be able to work as a cohesive member of the BI and regional USY teams.
Major Areas of Focus:
1. Development, supervision and administration of dynamic programs
2. Development of youth board and executive as a coach and mentor
3. Outreach to and networking with target groups
4. Networking with other institutions serving the target populations
5. Assisting the Program Director as required in other BI programs such as, but not limited to: Summer / Family retreats, Jewish holiday and special events programs
Other Critical Responsibilities
1. Develop a positive public image with these target groups thorough attendance and participation in community events.
2. Ensure implementation of appropriate rules of conduct and behaviour between youth and between youth and youth staff.
3. Budget management and financial planning for all events to ensure financial targets are met and funds are properly accounted for.
4. Management of youth scholarship process.
5. Training and supervision of volunteer youth advisors
6. Other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
1. Awareness of youth development issues and ability to recognize signs of youth at risk.
2. Significant knowledge of and experience in formal and informal education regarding Jewish values, ritual and practices.
3. Ability to engage in social networking and being welcoming and comfortable in inviting people to engage with them in Jewish life.
4. Excellent critical thinking and planning skills.
5. Knowledge and experience in social marketing and other techniques to engage the target audiences.