Our History

A Brief History of Congregation Beth Israel:


            
August 2, 1932 Congregation Beth Israel is formed as a Conservative Synagogue in cooperation with United Synagogue of America
September 1, 1932 Rabbi Benzion Bokser is hired at Beth Israel's first Rabbi
1932 to 1948  Synagogue services held at the Jewish Community Center (JCC) in Fairview with High Holyday services being held at the JCC,  Peter Pan Ballroom or at the Park Theater 
1944 Purchased land at 27th and Oak Street from Canadian Pacific Railway on which the synagogue is located today
1945      The cemetery grounds are purchased
September 11, 1949  Synagogue dedication
1965 Congregation Beth Israel's constitution was amended to give women membership and voting rights with 2 women elected to the  Board of Directors.  
1970  The Groberman Chapel was renovated and refurnished
1982  The Koch Memorial Chapel at the Beth Israel Cemetery was dedicated
1992 Beth Israel Cemetery refurbishment project completed
1995 Women are allowed aliyot
2012  Construction began for our new Synagogue


Click here for a more complete history, written by Yale M. Chernoff