Position: Manager, Member Relations & Facilities Rentals
Congregation Beth Israel is the largest Conservative synagogue in Western Canada with a membership comprised of over 680 families. We are seeking a dedicated and experienced individual to oversee and manage the membership activities of the Congregation and head our membership development objectives. This is a regular part-time (50%) position reporting directly to the Executive Director.
A key member of the Senior Administration team, the individual is responsible for the following major areas:
- Meeting with prospective members and processing new member requests.
- Manage all administrative details regarding membership intake and processing. Follow-up on queries, HH memberships and complimentary memberships.
- Develop an outreach program to attract prospective members
- Actively encourage prospective members to join synagogue
- Manage a new member buddy system to appropriately welcome and engage new members.
- Ensure all data for members is properly entered into the Shulcloud database including new accounts, resignations, and deaths.
- Assist with fee issues in conjunction with the Executive Director
- Create appropriate and timely membership reports
- Client intake for external rentals and follow up
- Assisting members with rentals related to simchas
- Preparing clear and accurate reporting on rentals
- Managing all bookings and co-ordinating with appropriate staff
- Ensuring appropriate forms and procedures are followed for all rentals
- Marketing of facilities to selected target groups
Other responsibilities include:
- Responsible for accurate and timely maintenance of the BI global calendar
- Liaising with Building manager to ensure seamless communications regarding building openings, deliveries, set-ups and events
- Other responsibilities as they develop over time
Skills and Approach:
An outgoing, caring and welcoming personality
Highly organised with attention to detail
Skilled in anticipating and resolving potential issues.
Ability to remain calm and handle unexpected situations.
Empathetic but firm in managing member & client requests.
Comfortable in supporting and advising clients and managing their expectations.
Excellent listening and communication skills (written and oral)
Well organized and detail oriented
Adaptable, flexible and resourceful
Ability to work independently, to problem solve, to develop and maintain systems that allow for keeping staff, members and clients informed of relevant information, in an efficient and timely manner.
Understanding of client needs as they relate to functions and events at the synagogue.
- University graduate
- Experience in communal service or customer service role
- 2-3 years experience in event management, or equivalent combination of education and direct experience
- A good knowledge of Jewish customs and practices is essential.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to learn and adapt to industry-specific database program
Generally this position requires presence during week-day office hours. The manager will have some flexibility in this area, as the person will also be expected to work on some week-ends and evenings.
Please note that references and a criminal records check will be required. This is a non-smoking facility. To work in our facility all staff members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Please send resumes to the attention of the HR Committee to email@example.com.