Position: Administrative Assistant
Direct Supervisor: Executive Director
Status: Regular Full Time
Congregation Beth Israel, a member of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, is dedicated to the strengthening of all aspects of Jewish life including worship and Torah study, religion, educational and social activities for all ages, and the observance of life cycle events.
- Provides high level administrative support to the office of the Executive Director
- Coordinates activities of the general office
- Assists with operational fundraising events
- Responsible for cemetery & parking related administrative support
- Develops and plays a lead role in maintaining effective communication with members
- Supports the Accountant with various bookkeeping tasks assigned and with financial interactions with members
Major Areas of Focus:
- Administrative Support
- Schedules meetings and communications as needed, including those involving the Board.
- Manages the calendar of Senior Rabbi as well as other tasks as needed
- Manages event calendar of synagogue
- Answers phone, takes donations and supports congregational needs
- Provides back-up as needed to office staff
- Ensures information systems run efficiently, provides solutions to problems. Proofs and edits materials to ensure quality control
- Supports Accounting as needed
- Assists in handling general inquiries, provides requested materials, tracks information, schedules interviews etc.
- Follows up with donors on pledges, tracks donor requests, payments etc.
- Co-ordinates arrangements for funerals and unveilings with the appropriate staff; contracts, invoices, funeral announcements to congregation
- Co-ordinates plot purchases, headstone cleaning etc. and invoicing
- Ensures all files and digital records are updated and accurate
- Has a primary role and liaises with staff in administering the organization’s digital information sources including website, digital signage as well as weekly e-mail blasts and mailings
- In-charge of managing organizations’ social media platforms
- With direction, co-ordinates logistics, volunteers and activities for fundraising events and ongoing development work
- Provides support in other areas as may be requested
Hours/Conditions: This position requires a person to be present during office hours on weekdays. Given the nature and sensitivity of the job, the person must also be available on some weekends and evenings. Periodically, the individual may need to check their e-mails on the weekend and possibly come to work.
- Graduation from a formal post-secondary program plus two (2) years recent related experience.
- Excellent organizational and planning abilities with the ability to ensure deadlines are met
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively work with a diverse group of people
- Must have knowledge and experience in managing social media accounts such as Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Must demonstrate independent initiative, excellent judgement and the ability to prioritize in a highly complex and fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Must have the ability to adhere to strict confidentiality, ability to recognize and handle confidential information in an appropriate manner, show tact and strong inter-personal communications skills
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong computer and administrative skills. Must have excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word & Excel. Ability to adapt to changing technology and implement new developments to increase productivity
- Past exposure to accounting or bookkeeping activities
- Non-for-profit and community based institutional experience, knowledge of Jewish customs, practices and organizations are definite assets.
Please note that a criminal records check will be required. This is a non-smoking facility.
Please send all resumes to Esther Moses-Wood: email@example.com