Congregation Beth Israel Youth Position
Congregation Beth Israel is looking to fill a part-time USY Youth Advisor to lead programming and engage synagogue and community youth.
USY (United Synagogue Youth) is Beth Israel’s official youth group for those in Grades 8-12. USY’s programming focuses on social, social action, religious, and Israel events.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with youth ages 13-18, a strong commitment to Jewish life and values, previous experience or participation in USY or other youth group and is an outgoing and fun leader.
USY Advisor (Compensation: $10,000)
- Who are you?
- Undergrad/ Graduate students (20-25 years old) with leadership experience
- Candidate should have previous experience as a camp counsellor, youth group participant and leader, and/or leadership roles, and can plan and execute programming effectively
- Knowledgeable in using social media as a tool to reach Beth Israel and community youth
- Part time: Approx. 10 hours per week
- Working with a youth-led board to lead and plan events (programming includes social activities, Israel and religious based program, and Chessed projects)
- Attend 2 youth led board meetings/month
- Attend monthly USY events and chapter programs (mostly on Sundays, some Saturday and Friday evenings in the winter)
- Staff 2 regional Shabbatons (weekend retreats)
- Duke of Edinburgh Award Centre Admin and Advisor: Making sure that students are fulling their required hours, organizing the Chessed and Skills activities, meeting with the students.
- Be accessible to USYers by email/text
- Communicate regularly with Beth Israel’s Director of Youth Engagement (DYE)
- Outreach and engagement: working with DYE, create a plan to increase number of participants accessing USY programs
- Attend Shabbat morning services 1 x month
- Attend High Holyday services and assist DYE in running teen programming
- Visit to King David High School once/week at lunch time
- 2 meetings/month with the Director of Youth Engagement
- Reports directly to the Director of Youth Engagement
- September 2023 – June 2024
Please submit resumes to Rabbi Bluman, firstname.lastname@example.org.